Often called the lungs of the earth, forests help clean our air and regulate the climate. Forests filter our water, provide raw materials, recreation and inspiration. However, poor logging practices and planning threaten the future of our forests and wild lands.
Make the Right Choice
FSC forestry practices maintain forest habitat
Standard industrial forestry practices destroy forest habitat
The current logging method of choice by the forestry industry is clearcutting. To date, hundreds of thousands of acres have been clearcut in the Sierra Nevada and the North Coast.
The Forest Protection Commitee is working to stop this devastation by:
- Actively supporting Forest Ethics in their market-based campaign to Save the Sierra.
Encouraging people and green builders to buy wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- Promoting good forest legislation.
Please join and support our efforts.
Two new short films developed for the Stop Clearcutting campaign:Clearcutting in California-1
Clearcutting in California-2
- Cool Rainforests Store More Carbon - Article from Washington Post
- Timber Myths - Redwoods - Restoration, Fire, and Carbon - Article from Dr. Will Russell
Draft CalFire Community Wildfire Protection Plan - General
Draft CalFire CWPP - Santa Cruz County
Draft CalFire CWPP - San Mateo County
(For San Mateo and Santa Cruz Counties)
Note: Loma Prieta Chapter members Karen Maki and Lennie Roberts will participate in the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).
- Group fights Weyerhaeuser's use of 'green' certification
- Oregon State study shows tree farms use 70% more water, may increase drought
- (08/25/2009) SPI drops logging plan in response to CBD greenhouse gas lawsuit