The Loma Prietan - October 2002
Cooking Green Recipe
Black-Eyed Pea and Green Pea Salad
Cook the black-eyed peas and rice ahead.
Black-eyed peas: If using dried black-eyed peas, in a large pot cover 1 cup dried black-eyed peas with water. If not soaking peas first, simmer them for about 3/4 to 1 hour until tender. If pre-soaking for four hours, simmer them for about 30 minutes. If using frozen black-eyed peas, cook them according to directions on the package. If using canned black-eyed peas, drain them, place them in a strainer, and rinse them with fresh water.
Rice: In a medium saucepan bring 1-3/4 to 2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup long grain brown rice and cover. Return to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer the rice for about 35-40 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Keep the lid on the pan, remove pan from heat, and allow rice to cool.
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup green peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas (from dried, canned, or frozen black-eyes)
- 3 cups long grain brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 cup each celery, red onion, green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil OR dill (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
Blanch carrots in boiling water for 2 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients. Whisk dressing ingredients together, and pour over salad. Salt to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Copyright Kay Bushnell