Cooking Green Recipe
Creamy Pasta Primavera
Delicious creamy sauce without dairy cream. This dish is fit for your finest entertaining as well as everyday meals. The veggies in cream sauce can also be served atop brown rice or potatoes. It can be made a day ahead.
- 1 c. raw cashews
- 1+ c. water
- 3 t. dried Herbes de Provence (a ready-made herb blend)
- 2 t. salt
- a few dashes of black pepper
Pasta and Vegetables:
- 1 lb. fettuccine
- 1 5-oz. bag baby organic spinach OR 1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 T. vegetable broth powder mixed with enough water to just cover vegetables
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne pieces (matchsticks)
- 1 c. button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 orange, yellow, or red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 c. broccoli florets in bite-size pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, julienne
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2-3 fresh organic tomatoes OR 1 cup canned, drained tomatoes, chopped
- 2 t. salt or to taste
Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Add spinach during last 30 seconds of cooking. Drain, toss with a little olive oil to keep noodles from sticking, and set aside in a large bowl.
Puree cashews in blender with 1+ cup of water until smooth and creamy. It may take 3-4 minutes of blending. Add Herbes de Provence, 2 t. salt, and pepper, and puree another minute. Consistency should be similar to half-and-half.
In a large skillet braise carrots in vegetable broth until tender. Add peppers and continue simmering until peppers are semi-tender. Add mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, and garlic. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes, until tender. Add a little water as necessary during braising. By now water should be mostly boiled away; about a cup should remain. Stir in tomatoes. Add fettuccine-spinach mixture and sauce to vegetables in skillet. Add a little water if mixture seems dry. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and warm through for 1-2 minutes.
Adapted by Kay Bushnell