The Loma Prietan - July/August 2002
Cooking Green Recipe
Mock Tuna Salad
This delicious, easy filling is completely cholesterol-free. You also avoid the risk of consuming mercury and other contaminants commonly found in tuna.
- 1 15-oz. can cooked garbanzo beans, drained (1.5-2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely minced or 1 green onion, chopped
- 1-3 Tbsp. Nayonaise or other egg-free mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish (optional)
- 1/2 grated carrot (optional)
- 1/2-1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- Pepper to taste
Mash the garbanzo beans with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread filling on bread or stuff it into a tomato or avocado for a hearty, healthful salad.
Copyright Kay Bushnell