The Loma Prietan - May/June 2004
Cooking Green Recipe
Pesto Rice with Veggies
Buy a box of falafel mix and have traditional falafels a day or two before. Save 3 cooked falafel patties for this dish. You can freeze leftover cooked falafels in tightly sealed plastic bags for months.
- 1 cup button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 chopped zucchini squash (slice in 4 strips lengthwise, then across to make 1/2-inch cubes)
- 8 oz. firm tofu (not "silken" tofu) in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cooked falafel patties, cubed; OR 4-5 cooked falafel balls, each cut into several pieces (try Fantastic Foods Falafel Mix)
- 3 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- Salt to taste
- Sprigs of parsley
In a medium skillet, saute mushrooms, both onions, zucchini, and tofu in a little olive oil until vegetables are crisp tender and tofu is lightly golden. Turn off heat and add falafel pieces. Gently stir in the cooked rice and pesto (below). Add salt to taste, if necessary. Serve warm with sprigs of parsley as a garnish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup parsley
- water to achieve desired consistency (semi-thick)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
In a blender combine all pesto ingredients and process until smooth, occasionally stopping the blender to push down the mixture with a spatula.
Copyright Kay Bushnell