Cooking Green Recipe
Pine Nut and Almond Pate
Pine nuts in combination with almonds yield this delectable, versatile, nutritious spread. Prepare it in five minutes. Then spread it on bread, crackers, and crisp raw veggies. Tuck it into wraps with spinach, cucumber, avocado, tomato, and green onions. Stir it into marinara sauce or serve it with pasta or brown rice. Store shelled pine nuts and almonds in the freezer.
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked (cover almonds with water and soak 5-8 hours)
- 1/2 cup raw pine nuts (unsoaked)
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2+ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 clove garlic, pressed or crushed
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup greens such as fresh basil, cilantro leaves, or
- parsley as garnish (optional)
In a food processor blend all ingredients until the texture is almost smooth. Add water, if necessary, to make the mixture easy to spread. Adjust salt to taste.
Adapted by Kay Bushnell from a recipe by Emily Angell