The Loma Prietan - February 2001
Cooking Green Recipe
Sweet Potato Soup
A rich, mellow flavor and beautiful golden color characterize this easy-to-make soup.
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- water as needed
- 3-1/2 cups peeled, diced garnet or jewel yams
- 3 cups vegetable bouillon or broth (use homemade stock, canned broth, or broth powder mixed in the water)
- 3/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. mild curry powder
- 3/4-1 cup soy milk or rice beverage
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
In a large pot braise chopped leeks and onion in a little water, covered, over low heat until they are soft but not browned, about 15 minutes. Add the yams and 3 cups of broth. Cover pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt, peppers, and spices. In a blender with a tight fitting lid puree soup in small batches until it is smooth.
Return soup to saucepan. Stir in soy or rice milk and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a little more broth if a thinner soup is desired. Sprinkle chives over each serving of soup.
Copyright Kay Bushnell