Cooking Green Recipe
Invite your friends over and enjoy this exceptionally delicious lasagna any time of year. You can assemble it a day or two ahead. Then on the day you serve it all you have to do is bake it. Add a salad of seasonal greens, whole grain bread, and fresh fruit cobbler to complete your meal.
Three parts: 16 regular or 12 wide lasagna noodles (to make 4 layers), cooked according to package directions, tomato sauce (recipe below), cashew cheese (recipe below)
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. EACH finely chopped onion, grated carrot, finely chopped green pepper, and finely chopped celery 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 t. EACH dried oregano and basil
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 t. salt (or to taste)
- pepper to taste
- 2 2.25-oz. cans sliced black olives, drained and rinsed
- In a large saucepan over medium heat braise the onion, carrot, green pepper, and garlic in a little water until tender. Add oregano, basil, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add a cup or more of water if sauce becomes too thick. Stir in the olives.
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. raw, unsalted cashews
- 1-1/2 t. salt
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 2 4-oz. jars pimientos, drained
- 1 t. onion granules
- 1 t. garlic salt
- 3 T. nutritional yeast (such as "Red Star"), not baking yeast (optional)
- 1 12.3-oz. package firm silken tofu (available in aseptic packages)
- OR 12 oz. medium tofu
Whiz water, cashews, and salt in a blender until very smooth. Add lemon juice, pimientos, onion granules, garlic salt, nutritional yeast, and tofu and whiz again.
Set aside 1-1/2 c. tomato sauce and 1 c. cashew sauce. Spread 1/2 c. of tomato sauce evenly in a 9" x 13" baking dish, and top with a layer of noodles. Spoon 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the noodles. Spread 1/3 of the cashew cheese over the tomato sauce, pouring it directly from the blender. Repeat the layers of noodles, tomato sauce, and cashew cheese two more times. Cover the top of the lasagna with the reserved 1-1/2 c. tomato sauce, and finish by drizzling the reserved 1 c. of cashew cheese over all. (If you plan to bake the lasagna the next day, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 45 minutes before baking.)
Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake lasagna until bubbly, about 30-40 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted by Kay Bushnell from a recipe by Marcella Lynch