The Loma Prietan - February 2002
Cooking Green Recipe
This beautiful blend of colors, textures, tastes, and nutrients makes a hearty main course for brunch or other meals. Roasting the potatoes ahead saves time and helps them keep their shape. Tip: while potatoes are roasting you have time to set out all ingredients next to the stove.
- 3 cups scrubbed red potatoes, 3/4" dice, eyes removed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 med. red or yellow bell pepper in 1" dice, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cleaned and thinly sliced button and/or shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 Roma tomato, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed very thoroughly, stems removed, and coarsely chopped
Mix seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt) in a small bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 425°. Dice potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with 1/2 of seasoning mixture. Blend potatoes, olive oil, and half of seasoning mixture until potatoes are evenly coated. Spread a single layer of potatoes on a cookie sheet covered with baking parchment and bake them for about 30 minutes, turning them once after 15 minutes of cooking, until potatoes are fork tender and lightly browned. Set roasted potatoes aside.
(While potatoes are roasting peel and slice onion; seed and dice bell pepper; clean and slice mushrooms, crumble tofu, dice tomato, and wash and chop spinach. Place these ingredients plus the toasted sesame oil, the remaining 1/2 of seasoning mixture, and soy sauce next to the stove.)
Cook the following ingredients in a medium nonstick skillet in four easy steps:
1) Heat the toasted sesame oil, and saute the onions for a few minutes over medium- low heat, stirring frequently.
2) Stir in the diced bell pepper, mushrooms, and remaining 1/2 of seasoning mixture, stirring frequently over low-medium heat.
3) When bell peppers are nearly tender add crumbled tofu, diced tomato, and spinach. Stir constantly, and cook until spinach wilts and tomato softens.
4) Add the roasted potatoes and sprinkle with soy sauce. Blend all ingredients gently and thoroughly. Serve the scramble immediately. Serves 4.
Copyright Kay Bushnell