The Loma Prietan - March/April 2005
Cooking Green Recipe
Busy Person's Gourmet Pasta Sauce
This recipe demonstrates how a commercial convenience food can be the basis of a simple meal or a formal banquet. The addition of just one Tofurky Sweet Italian Sausage, one onion, and one can of sliced olives to a commercial pasta sauce transforms it into a gourmet sauce in minutes.
- 3/4 lb. pasta (bow tie, spaghetti, linguine)
- 1/2 lb. meatless, dairy-free ravioli (such as San Francisco Pasta Company's Vegetarian Ravioli)
- 1 yellow onion, in 1" dice
- 1 2.25-oz. can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 Tofurky Sweet Italian Sausage (meatless)
- 1 25.5 oz. jar of Muir Glen Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce (or other commercial meatless, dairy-free pasta sauce)
Cook the pasta and ravioli according to the package's directions, drain them, and combine them with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan braise the onion in a little water until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the pasta sauce, black olives, and meatless sausage. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Warm pasta and place it on individual serving plates or in a large pasta bowl. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and/or non-dairy Parmesan Cheese Alternative. The walnut topping is especially tasty.
—Copyright, Kay Bushnell