The San Carlos/Belmont Regional Group meets monthly (except July and August), usually on the 2nd Saturday. We emphasize hikes rated at 1A (less than 5 miles and less than 1000 feet change in elevation, that are usually on the Peninsula. Our events are open to all; membership in the Sierra Club is not required.
Hikes: Usually we meet in front of the San Carlos Library, 610 Elm Street. You may use the public parking garage in the basement of the building. Bring water, day-hike items, and gas money for driver. Drivers and riders should know that the Club's liability insurance does not cover transportation to or from a Club event. You will be asked to sign and note emergency information on a Sierra Club liability release form. Be sure to call the leader to confirm meeting time and location.
Saturday, DECEMBER 13, 2014 – Morning Hike 9:15 AM -- CANCELLED DUE TO MUDDY CONDITIONS
Saturday, DECEMBER 13, 2014 -- ANNUAL YEAR-END PARTY
Come and talk over food and drink. This year, we are pleased to join with members of the Peninsula Regional Group. We will be having a Gift Exchange; if you choose to participate, bring a wrapped gift (value not to exceed $10, or which can be a white elephant "re-gift"). There is no other agenda except for socializing and getting better acquainted with fellow Sierra Club members! Join in the fun!
Social Time: 5:30 PM, Potluck 6-8:30 PM. To RSVP for the meeting and to get directions, call or email the host, Camille King, (650) 593-9898, firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring food (main dish, salad or dessert) to serve about six. We customarily contribute $2 per drink serving at the social time to defray costs.
Mark your calendars!! UPCOMING EVENTS OF THE SAN CARLOS/BELMONT GROUP
In the coming year, we will continue to alternate easy hikes with more difficult settings, to encourage wider participation. Our evening programs may include both films and speakers. Here is a tentatve list of the hikes and events currently planned:
January 10, 2015
· Hike: “Area H”, Redwood Shores (rated Easy)
· Program: Nicole David, Environmental Scientist with San Francisco Estuary Institute, discussing Bay pollution generated by Belmont and San Carlos sourcesl
February 14, 2015
· Hike: Pulgas Ridge (rated Challenging)
· Program: Panel discussion on the pros and cons of clear cutting
March 14, 2015
· Hike: Mori Point (rated Challenging)
· Program: How Sierra Club can select more environmentally responsible candidates
April 11, 2015
· Hike: Don Edwards National Wildlife Refuge (rated Easy)
· Program: San Carlos Climate Action Plan update
May 9, 2015
· Hike: McNee Ranch State Park (rated Challenging)
· Program: Update on activities of Save the Bay
June 13, 2015
· Bay Trail (San Carlos) (rated Easy)
· Programs: Options for green waste in multi-family and commercial settings