The San Carlos/Belmont Regional Group meets monthly (except July and August), usually on the 2nd Saturday. We emphasize hikes rated at 1A (less than 5 miles and less than 1000 feet change in elevation, that are usually on the Peninsula. Our events are open to all; membership in the Sierra Club is not required.
Hikes: Usually we meet in front of the San Carlos Library, 610 Elm Street. You may use the public parking garage in the basement of the building. Bring water, day-hike items, and gas money for driver. Drivers and riders should know that the Club's liability insurance does not cover transportation to or from a Club event. You will be asked to sign and note emergency information on a Sierra Club liability release form. Be sure to call the leader to confirm meeting time and location.
Potluck meetings: Call or e-mail the host to RSVP and obtain the meeting location. Bring food (main dish, salad or dessert) to serve about 6. We customarily contribute $2 per drink serving at the social time to defray costs. Visitors are always welcome.
Saturday, DECEMBER 14, 2013 – Morning Hike 9:15 AM
Big Canyon/Eaton Park, San Carlos (rated CHALLENGING)
The16-acre Big Canyon Park is located near the end of Brittan Avenue. Its trails are rugged, hilly and narrow, but the entire area remains one of the most scenic and rustic places in San Carlos. The trails were built by the San Carlos-Belmont Group, headed by Harold Drake. This is a challenging 1.2 miles, and the hillside at the park’s eastern-most border offers a spectacular view of the Peninsula and East Bay. Across from the park entrance on Brittan Avenue is a sign pointing to the link with Eaton Park, which provides a continuous trail through the area.
Meet at 9:15 AM at the San Carlos Public Library parking lot to carpool. We will leave at 9:30 AM. If you wish to meet at the trail head, contact the leader to obtain directions. Leader: Gladwyn d’Souza, (650) 804-8225, firstname.lastname@example.org. RAIN CANCELS
For more information, go to http://www.cityofsancarlos.org/gov/depts/parks_rec/park_information/big_canyon_park.asp
Saturday, DECEMBER 14, 2013 – ANNUAL YEAR-END PARTY
Come and talk over food and drink. We’ll share discussion about the best environmental movie you saw during the past year.
Social time: 5:30 PM, Potluck 6-8:30 PM. To RSVP for the meeting and to get directions, call or e-mail the host, Camille King, (650) 593-9898, email@example.com. Don’t hesitate to join us for the 7:00 program if you cannot attend the potluck.
Mark your calendars!! UPCOMING EVENTS OF THE SAN CARLOS/BELMONT GROUP
In the coming year, we will continue to alternate easy hikes with more difficult outings, to encourage wider participation. Our evening programs include both films and speakers. Here is a list of the hikes and events currently planned:
January 11, 2014
- Hike: “Area H” – The Preserve at Redwood Shores; rated EASY. A tour guide may be provided by the developer [to be confirmed]. Leader: Gladwyn d’Souza
- Program: Presentation by Jim McGarry, Director of the Sister Dorothy Stang Center for Social Justice and Community Engagement on Environmental Justice of Notre Dame de Namur University. Host: Gladwyn d'Souza
February 8, 2014
- Hike: South San Francisco Bay Trail (SamTrans Peninsula to Point San Bruno), rated EASY. Leader: Gladwyn d’Souza
- Program: Belmont Village Plan; speaker: Kristen Mercer of the City of Belmont Planning Commission. Host: Gladwyn d’Souza
March 8, 2014
- Hike: Edgewood Park and Preserve; rated CHALLENGING. Leader: Gladwyn d’Souza
- Program: “Bee policies across the County”; speaker: Nicki Irvine of the Beekeepers’ Guild of San Mateo County. Host: Lee Baker
April 12, 2014
- Hike: New Devil’s Slide trail, Pacifica, rated MODERATE. Leader: Gladwyn d’Souza
- Program: In lieu of evening program, after the hike we will gather for lunch in Half Moon Bay, location to be determined
May 10, 2014
- Hike: Sawyer Camp Trail (Crystal Springs Regional Trail), rated EASY. Leader: Gladwyn d‘Souza
- Program: TO BE ANNOUNCED Host: Jean Taggart [to be confirmed]
June 14, 2014
- Hike: Burleigh-Murray Ranch State Park; rated EASY. Leader: Gladwyn
- Program: Presentation by representative of Mid-Peninsula Water District [Subject to be determined]. Host: Bonnie McClure